HPAT Preparation Course
The admissions test selected by the Irish Medical Schools is called HPAT – Ireland (Health Professions Admission Test-Ireland). The test is independently administered by ACER (Australian Council for Educational Research).
The test measures a candidate’s logical reasoning and problem solving skills as well as non-verbal reasoning and the ability to understand the thoughts, behaviour and/or intentions of people.
The Institute of Education HPAT Preparation Course provides students with the relevant skills, strategies and confidence to reach their potential in the test.
The course tutors are all highly qualified and experienced experts in the area of HPAT preparation. All of the tutors have excelled in examinations designed and administered by ACER.
The tutors are supported during the course by successful HPAT candidates. The support team share with course participants the strategies they employed to maximise their score in the HPAT. They also work with smaller groups of course participants in workshops. Each workshop focuses on specific sections of the HPAT.
Materials provided as part of the Course include:
- Sample Exam: This is used as a mock exam during the course. Students attending the course are permitted to keep this sample exam.
- Sample Exam questions (equivalent to five full sample exams): students are able to practice using these questions prior to their HPAT.
- Worked solutions to the HPAT Ireland Practice Test I, Test II and ALL sample questions provided to students during the course. These resources are invaluable as they demonstrate to candidates the logic of each question and allow students to identify the pitfalls and traps that exist in HPAT style questions.
- Worked examples and a guide to the logic and reasoning behind these types of tests.
- Comprehensive course notes, supporting the classroom tuition.
- In addition, students are issued with class notes which are worked through during the Course.
The Institute of Education has invested significant time and resources in developing the materials above. We have retained leading experts in the relevant fields to prepare these materials. The Institute of Education has also reviewed the materials that are available to purchase. We believe that the only additional materials that students should purchase are the HPAT Practice Exams. This material may be purchased from:
The Institute of Education does not recommend any other practice materials or resources.
Please contact our office on 01 661 3511 or email firstname.lastname@example.org or further details.
Click here to visit the HPAT Ireland website.
Click here for an Institute Introduction to the HPAT.
Click here for some useful 'HPAT Top Tips' from course tutor Colin Irwin